MEI is focused on serving its participants through the following Core Program Components
- Personal Growth & Development
- Educational Support
- Cultural Enrichment
- Economic/Career Exploration
- Health and Wellness
- Community Service
- Recreational Activities
- Family Empowerment
MEI promotes systematic programming that encourages people to gain the skills and knowledge that will allow them to overcome obstacles in life or work environment and ultimately, help them develop productivity within themselves and within our community.
WHAT WE DO
At MEI, we believe that empowerment begins when these factors are positively addressed in consistent and resourceful ways. Hence, as a culturally responsive and community-driven social services organization, MEI promotes community empowerment through multi-sector collaborations with universities, businesses, for-profit and non-profit organizations, as well as the faith-based community.
MEI will promote various developmental processes which will enable individuals/groups to fully access personal and/or collective community empowerment avenues, and aid in employing these techniques to improve their current communities and standard of living.
Empowerment refers to increasing the spiritual, political, social, or economic strength of individuals and communities. It oftens involves the empowered developing confidence in their own capacities for improvement, positive goal setting, and taking action to reach those goals.
- The ability to access information and resources for decision-making.
- Ability to consider a range of options for personal and community improvement.
- Ability to exercise assertiveness and becoming involved with personal and community improvement efforts.
- Having positive-thinking about one's ability to make changes for the better.
- Ability to learn and access skills for improving one's personal, financial, educational circumstance.
- Involving one's self in the growth process (personal, educational, employement) and self-initiated.
- Increasing one's positive self-image and overcoming stigma.
- Increasing one's ability in discreet thinking to sort out right and wrong.
To be a catalyst for the City of Memphis to become a stronger, vibrant, more viable city by providing inner-city, school-aged children the tools necessary for personal growth, education support, and work force readiness.
To provide effective programming that helps inner-city, school-aged youth (ages 7 – 12 years old) to achieve opportunities for practical and sustainable personal growth through job readiness training, educational support, and life skills programs..